Monday, February 13, 2012

The "RIGHT WAY" to Eat

I have been participating in Heather Bruggeman's Whole Food Kitchen program. It has been interesting and inspiring. It is wonderful to read through the discussion forums and learn from others as well as being able to appreciate how many of us are on this journey.

I have noticed that during our search for better health, we often feel like we should be doing something because it works for someone else. Perhaps it is switching to vegetarianism, or veganism, or a raw food diet, or the paleo diet, or any number of other ways to eat. We wonder if the choices we make are enough, maybe we are missing something, and so we continue to search out ways to improve our nutrition and that of our family.

While I am an excited life-long learner, I do believe we sometimes lose sight of the big picture when it comes to diet and finding the "Right Way" to eat. Here is my part in a recent conversation:

I love the amazing human body. It is extremely sophisticated, adaptable and when you look at all the ways humans have not only survived but thrived historically and around the world today, you will understand what I mean. We are fortunate that we have so many choices when it comes to our food, and are able to seek optimum health and nutrition.

As others have already pointed out - I truly believe healthy eating is a very personal and individualized thing. And I want to throw out there this thought - our bodies are ever changing. What I felt good eating as a teenager is very different than what I feel good eating now.

And how about activity? How do you use your body? Do you move every day, and if so, how much? What kind of activity do you do? Is is strenuous and if so how often? These are all factors that effect the balance of nutrition our bodies need as well.

Or maybe you are pregnant? Nursing an infant or toddler? Recently gave birth?

Or maybe you are ill or recovering from an illness? Been under a lot of additional stress lately? All of these affect our nutritional needs (obviously).

My point is, what works for us today will change with time. Even as we age, our digestive enzymes change, our bones change, etc. Just when we think we have it all figured out, things will change and we will need to adapt how we eat.

Being open and flexible and intuitive to our bodies is so much more important than finding the "right way" to eat. Because what's right today might not make us feel our best tomorrow...

Which is what brought me to this wonderful program of Heather's at Beauty That Moves- my eating has NOT been optimal for this point in my life. I am so, so grateful for Heather and all the contributors sharing their ideas and recipes, and for all of us here sharing our own journeys!

No comments: