Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Eat, Sleep, Knit

It happens every year. First a day here and there, then several days, then a week or two. The blues. Melancholy. Dragging myself through the day, lethargic. The sky is pushing gray clouds. I am feeling heavy like those clouds.

In the past, I would medicate myself - food, alcohol, caffeine. Each has it's own price. In the end, you feel worse. These days I take better care of myself. I have to. I am Mom. The little ones rely on me. Husband relies on me. I want to be a good care-giver to them, and a good role-model.


So I take good care of myself. I stay in more. Cook nourishing meals. Drink warming teas. Bake, paint, roll around on the floor with the kids. Eventually my energy and enthusiasm returns, just as the clouds roll away and the blue sky returns.

In the meantime, my favorite things are eating, sleeping, and knitting.

No comments: