Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Toddler Times

Whenever I am trying to control too much, accomplish too much, or planning too much, my toddler teaches me a lesson. I recently read a post by Soule Mama where she describes an opportunity for a busy day of accomplishing tasks. Instead she decides to pass the day on toddler time. I missed the same opportunity at my house the other day.

I had a lot of cooking, baking and cleaning I wanted to accomplish. The oldest was at school, the younger two playing happily. Perfect opportunity, or so I thought. Alina is the first of my three children to actually tolerate being dressed warmly, including socks, slippers and hats. Until recently. These days, she is dressing herself, which leads to multiple outfit changes, especially as she and 'sissy' play dress-up with all the beautiful hand-me-downs in sissy's closet.

Being busy and distracted, I only half-heartedly attempted to get her clothes back on her. So she is running around and I hear Sita's loud "ewww, gross, you pooped!" Great. Clean up the mess, the oven timer goes off...

I thought I was safe. I mean, she had just pooped, who would expect more, so soon? "Alina!" Sita yells. This time I actually get a diaper on her, despite her protests. Back to the kitchen. A little while later I hear Alina ask me to "dry this up mommy." Oh man, she is naked AGAIN, and now there is a puddle on the dining room chair. Clean that up, another diaper, more clothes.

Whew, what a day! But everything is done, lots of food in the house, no more cooking for a few days. The girls and I enjoy the afternoon sun. Later Alina asks me "you mad at me poopy mommy?"

"No Alina, I'm not mad at you for pooping. I love your poop. But next time keep it in the diaper or the potty OK?"

"I sweet art?" she asks with a smile.

"Yes, you are my sweet heart," I respond with a hug.

Later that evening, I am starting my new knitting project in the bedroom while listening to daddy give Alina her bath. Suddenly I hear "Alina! You pooped?! In the tub!"


I remembered those last few dishes to clean in the kitchen, and I made a run for it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Can't get caught knitting when there is poop in the tub.