Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Scavenger Hunt

I introduced two tiny sisters in an earlier lesson this week. They recently continued their adventure assisted by Sita, who kindly helped them with a scavenger hunt. I had written clues and placed them in special hiding places. Each clue led to the next clue, but before she could read the clue, she had to solve some problems. I had created worksheets to review some of the work we have been doing recently. She had worksheets asking her to match the Roman Numerals with the correct numbers; filling in the blank skip counting (twos, fives, tens), reading word families, and sight words.


Once she solved the problems (completed the worksheet), she could have the clue and find the next set. This ended in the discovery of a key, which unlocked the box. Inside the box was another small, plain wooden box. Inside this, was a set of earrings. Magic earrings, since they give you courage, and it takes courage to get your ears pierced for the first time.


I had been thinking of this for some time, as Sita had been expressing interest in getting her ears pierced. "Does it hurt a lot?" she would frequently ask. "How old were you when you got your ears pierced? Did you cry? What did your earrings look like?"

Originally I had planned to wait until she was older, but changed my mind. She has been having trouble sleeping on her own for several weeks now, and needs a boost of courage. She is a bit of a melancholic (like me!), and can feel sorry for herself. She is also extremely sensitive, compassionate, and considerate. So, the earrings. They are magic courage earrings of course!

I told her, when she decided she was ready, I would take her to have her ears pierced with the new earrings. At first she thought "tomorrow" sounded good. But after thinking about it, she decided today was the day. Now, I was a little apprehensive. What if she got one ear done and then couldn't go through with it for the other? What if she chickened out and then felt even worse?

I decided to radiate confidence, excitement and pride. So off we went. We had to wait a few minutes for the attendant to get to us, and then the paperwork, and aftercare instructions. All adding to poor Sita's apprehension. I held her hand as the attendant carefully marked her ears, cleaned everything, and prepared for the piercing.

I believe she was surprised at how quickly it was done, and how little it hurt. And she was so proud of herself! She couldn't wait to tell her dad and step-dad all about her new earrings! All evening I kept hugging her and telling her how proud I was and what a brave girl she is.

Now, when she talks to me, I just stare at her shiny new earrings and say, "I'm sorry, did you say something? I was distracted by those gorgeous ears." She smiles and says "Oh mom!"

No comments: