Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

I have been inspired so much by my lovely Waldorf Home School Co-op group. What a hard-working group of moms! Last year I was in the class of seven and eight-year-olds with my middle daughter. The baby tagged along. This year I have been spending time in the "Shining Crystal" room, where the kindergartens are. My youngest is only two, but she has really enjoyed the story times and being around the "smaller" people.

I had read so much about circle time activities, as well as presenting stories to the younger children, but seeing it and participating in it has been so helpful. So I was inspired to be more creative with my own story telling at home.



I decided to take a simple story for my two-year old and create a scene and act it out for her. It was fun and my two girls, the seven-year old included, enjoyed it.

The story of the three billy goats gruff was easy enough, I already knew the story by heart and the props were simple. I created little goats and the troll from beeswax. The  troll's bridge was made from wooden block over a blue silk "river". The forest was created by using branches tucked into a base of clay. Scattered leaves added to the forest floor, and a green silk on top of some books was the "green meadow".



I kept the scene hidden until story time. My daughter's face was mesmerized as I told the story of the three billy goats gruff, and it was a big hit for several weeks. Unfortunately, the beeswax goats soon lost horns, and the old troll lost his head. In the future I would consider needle felting the characters.

This may seem simple enough, and I am certain many of you have been creating these story scenes for some time. But this is something new in our home, hopefully a tradition that will be continued.

Thanks for reading!
M

No comments: