Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Home to School and Home Again

Is three weeks long enough to make a decision about school? My head tells me probably not, but my heart shouts "yes!" I have to admit, my heart wasn't totally committed to the public school attendance. Yes, it has been easier working with Sita and Alina, and we have been able to center our days around activities for these younger two. Fewer lessons to plan, less arguing, less to squeeze in everyday.

BUT. I miss him. He comes home from school tired and hungry. He wants his 30 minutes of computer time. He has not been getting enough sleep, so he sleeps extra late on the weekends and has even taken naps. I couldn't get him to take naps when he was three! I see so little of him. No time or energy for his usual chores. I realize how much I depend on this eleven-year old to help with the cleaning, cooking, and caring of younger siblings.

On the plus side, he has shown me he has the ability to be responsible. He has set his own alarm, gotten himself up every morning, showered, teeth brushed, healthy breakfast, and made it to school on time. He has kept up marvelously with his homework (always the first thing done upon returning home.) He has kept himself organized. He has made excellent grades, although the A's I am not overly impressed with, since the work has been easy and he has not had to work hard for those A's. He has tried to make the most of all this, and tried to enjoy the positive aspects of attending school.

He has been learning some interesting things. Not overly important stuff, typical public school stuff in language arts, science, and history. You know, like who came first, pick one - Native Americans (Or Indians, if you are politcally incorrect, or just lost, like Columbus), the Spanish, English or the French. And the scientific method. Ah yes, I had to learn all about this in college. The steps in creating a truly scientific study. Except they leave out the part where you take money from some lobbying group to propose the result they want to have published.

OK, enough with the sarcasm. Honestly, even on a mediocre day, I think I have a lot to offer in the way of education. I can share some pretty amazing history and culture, including some for the rarely studied, and yet still important cultures. And I can provide him with some useful math skills, such as budgeting, balancing a check account, interest rates, and writing a business plan. (In addition of course, to the other not-so-useful math of geometry and algebra, I can teach that too.) Not to mention the important life skills of cooking, cleaning, getting along with those you live with, compromise, and time-management skills.

The biggest reason he wants to return home? Not enough sleep. Second reason? He can get more learning done in two hours at home than he can in seven hours at school. Sounds good to me.
Michelle

No comments: