Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Creating Home with Food

I have been spending a lot of time in my kitchen these days. A stack of cookbooks and the assistance of the Whole Food Kitchen Online program have inspired me.



I never used to enjoy cooking. Cooking was something that got in the way of eating when I was hungry. In other words, I wanted food and I wanted it to be fast.

I have come along way from those rotisserie chickens, instant mashed potatoes and frozen peas (although I still enjoy a good rotisserie on occasion!)

Now I enjoy the process of creating wholesome food for my family. Knowing the food I make comes from a small farmer, with organic produce and grass-fed animals makes it all the more valuable. I am creating for my family.

Here are some recipes and photos from my recent kitchen adventures.

Home-made Granola
This morning I made granola for my dear Husband. It is made with healthy medium-chain fatty acid coconut oil. Did you know virgin coconut oil is rich in Lauric acid which has antioxidant properties? This is why virgin coconut oil will stay well for so long, even at room temperature. After all, the tropics are hot, and that is where the tropical oils including coconut thrive and have been consumed (with ill health effects) for generations.

Although the recipe was inspired by Heather Bruggeman's granola, I added some of my own ingredients: Six cups uncooked rolled oats, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1 cup maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 cup chopped walnuts, and 1/2 cup sesame seeds.

I heated the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla while I mixed the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mixed it all up well and then spread over two cookie sheets. Baked at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. The bottom pan cooked faster and became a little burned on one side.

Very tasty and satisfying because I know exactly what ingredients are in my dear Husband's morning cereal.

I also made some fun and tasty chicken enchiladas from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Today was perfect for crock-pot cooking since my middle daughter Sita had gymnastics. I love coming home to a meal ready to eat.

The basic recipe calls for chicken cut into 2/3 inch pieces cooked with onion. (I made mine the day before while cooking dinner.) You layer green chile enchilada sauce, strips of corn tortillas, chicken, and cheese. Ending with a cheese on top. Next time I will add spinach. My son and enchilada-loving husband asked for this to be a regular weekly meal. Seems kind of heavy, but maybe I can get some veggies in there.

Almond milk
I also made almond milk and almond milk smoothies. When I first saw the photos and tutorial video on Whole Foods Kitchen, I couldn't wait to make some! It looked so beautiful, white and creamy, and well - wholesome. And it tastes that way as well. Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, and although high in fat (as most nuts), they are the healthy monounsaturated fats. They also contain phytosterols, with numerous potential health benefits.

These are some of the interesting foods coming out of my kitchen. What's cooking in yours?

No comments: