Saturday, December 31, 2011

Not So Crafty

I am always amazed and inspired by the crafty moms out there. I greatly enjoy my crafting activities, although there is a lot of room for improvement.

What am I gaining from my crafting activities? (Besides some great knitted items, and natural material toys for my children).

  • A great sense of satisfaction. I love taking raw material and turning it into something useful and attractive (they are beautiful to me, flaws and all).
  • The great feeling of gift-giving, amplified because you took the time and effort to make it yourself.
  • Developing my will force - in order for me to do something well, I have to s-l-o-w down. This is big for me as I tend to rush from one thing to another, wanting to "check it off the to-do list".
  • Learning to enjoy the process.
  • Developing new and useful skills.
  • Becoming more self-sufficient.
  • Learning to finish what I start - there are some many great projects out there, but I have to discipline myself to finish projects before rushing out to start new ones. Doesn't mean I don't have several projects going at once, but I have to set limits for myself and be sure to go back and finish the projects I have become either bored or frustrated with.
  • Being a good role model for my children. I have heard the pride in my 11-year old's voice when he tells someone "my mom made it!".
I want to share some photos of a few of my less-than-perfect crafts. For those of you too intimidated to try knitting or needle felting, or feel inadequate compared to the amazing crafters out there, know that you are not alone. But also know that there is much to be gained simply from the act of trying and doing your best. After all, isn't this what we want for our children?
Michelle



No comments: