Thursday, December 29, 2011

Voices In my Head

The Voice in My Head
No wonder I walk around tired and tense so often. Have you ever stopped to listen to the voice inside your own head? The one that talks to you all day? I have, and it’s not very nice.

I don’t know if I was born with the self-esteem I have or if I have cultivated it over time. But here is a recent “talk” I overheard (or at least was present and conscious enough for a moment to take notice of).
“You know you have always been a late bloomer. You are always behind in the maturity scale. Why did you say (or not say) what you did? How many of the decisions you are making daily will you come to regret later? Are you truly focused on the right things? Remember in the past how you made so many mistakes and …”

How can I possibly talk to myself this way? I would never talk to a friend, child, sibling, spouse, client or even a stranger in such a harsh and unforgiving way. I have tried self-help and those “positive aspirations” before. They seem so hokey. “OK, now tell yourself out loud ten times what a great person you are”. You feel so silly.

But something has to change. I do need to change the dialogue in my head. I am an intelligent strong woman. I learn from mistakes. I am evolving. I strive to improve myself in big ways and in small ways. I set goals, I meet them.

What I should be saying to myself is more along the lines of this:
“Wow, you are really doing some great things with your life. You are accomplishing so much. You have work that is meaningful and benefits others. You are doing a fantastic job raising your kids, educating your kids, and providing meaningful values to them. You are a good listener, compassionate, funny, and humble. You are working hard to learn new things every day. You are working hard to bring good things to your family including good meals and nutritious wholesome food. You care about the environment…”

What is your voice telling you on a daily basis? Could your voice use a little boost of positive enthusiasm? Listen closely to your thought patterns and see what happens.
Michelle

No comments: