Monday, January 23, 2012

Exercise and Will Power - Part One

In Waldorf Education, we often talk about “developing the will”. This is similar to those outside of Waldorf talking about their “will power” or “self-discipline”. Perhaps it is a new diet and the “will power” or discipline needed to stick with it. Sometimes we talk about people surviving amazing circumstances because of their “strong will to live”. Or the “will to succeed” combined with strong self-discipline resulting in great personal success.
In all these cases, it is about using our will to accomplish something despite obstacles. Doing something even when it is hard. This is certainly a quality we would like our children to develop, and often the best way to do so is by being a living example of strong will forces ourselves.
I think I have pretty a pretty strong will. Attending college in my early twenties, while simultaneously working two and sometimes three jobs to support myself required a strong will and self-discipline. During graduate school, while trying to juggle a part-time job, volunteer work, the birth of my first child and a long internship program, I often felt like giving up. But with encouragement from my family and friends and perseverance, I was able to successfully manage all of these things simultaneously.
This was soon followed by the loss of both parents and a devastating divorce. Those were tough times, but again I persevered.
But lately, despite the comfort and joy in my life, I have been struggling with my will. Perhaps it is the lack of difficulties in my life that leaves me increasingly lethargic and undisciplined. Perhaps it is the lack of urgency – parenting and homeschooling is a long-term commitment, not something with a clear endpoint.
When I think back to the consistent thread of all the challenging times, it was my exercise. I always made time to exercise. When my classmates were celebrating the end of exams with parties and intoxication, I was headed to the gym for a good long training session. After the birth of my son, I would get up extra early for a run and have my shower, breakfast, and be dressed and ready for quality time with him. Grieving for my father, it was the long walks in the woods that most soothed me. My mother’s loss was more of a shock, and the long daily runs, often ending in tears of grief, helped me to heal.
During the separation and divorce years, I managed to squeeze in moments to train for a biathlon. The music on my Ipod and the rapid beating of my heart helped me to cope with the grief of losing my family and kept me moving forward.
I know there are many moms struggling with their own will forces. Whether it is planning healthy meals for their families, meeting all the demands of parenting, balancing work outside the home, or being prepared for their homeschooling, many moms struggle to find more self-discipline and will forces to accomplish all that is required of them. And few take the time to exercise.
I can hear it now, “Exercise?! Now Michelle, how can you possibly expect me to squeeze one more thing into my day, let alone time to exercise?”
Let me tell you, if you can make time for yourself in this small way, it will spill over into other areas of your life as well. When I am self-disciplined and exercising regularly, it starts a chain reaction. I then find myself motivated to do more, accomplish more.

I thought of you and writing this post when I returned from my training last night. Last week was a typical week of lessons, chores, piano lessons, meals. I had been feeling increasingly lethargic. Late yesterday afternoon, after starting dinner, it was time for my exercise. I really didn't feel like training. In fact I would have been perfectly happy to stay in and work on my knitting, or spend some time on the computer. But I felt obligated to go and train. After all, as I mention in an earlier post Home School Burn Out, I have made the commitment to compete in a duathlon this spring. I have paid the registration fee. I have informed my family of my intentions. I really needed to take advantage of the training time available to me. So out the door I went.

An hour and a half later I returned, and I was a new woman. My thinking was clearer. I felt more like "myself" (rather than the lethargic grumpy woman I had been earlier.) I felt strong and well. I felt energetic and happy. I was proud of my accomplishment (see training log January.) I was excited to be moving toward a goal. And the feelings of health and well-being have continued with me today. Working out creates momentum - one good experience leads to another. You will look forward to your next training session remembering the sense of accomplishment from the last.

We all know the benefits of regular exercise – lower blood pressure, lower “bad” cholesterol levels, elevated “good” cholesterol levels, weight control. But what about the less talked about benefits of exercise?
The release of endorphins helps us feel better. We enjoy stress relief. Our thinking is clearer. Increased circulation aids digestion, improves mobility, and creates healthier joints. Exercise improves our balance. Our lymph system, so important to a healthy immunity, requires large muscle movement to circulate properly. I could go on and on. Many moms are devoted to working on themselves, to being better people and better parents. Exercise and being physically active are just as important as inner work.

Let me say it again. Exercise and being physically active are just as important as inner work.

There is a lot of information available out there about exercising (good and bad). I hope you will continue reading as I describe different options for exercise, how to get started, types of exercise, common mistakes, and setting realistic exercise goals.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please share!
Michelle

No comments: