Friday, January 27, 2012

A Difficult Homeschool Day

Sometimes your days (weeks) don't go as planned. This has been one of those weeks for us. Sean, my eleven-year-old home-to-public school has returned to home school. I only have a rough outline for his upcoming lessons.

I am starting second grade with my almost eight-year-old, and just received my curriculum from Christopherus. I am very excited about this beautiful curriculum, but need to get organized.

Meanwhile, I have been working extra days at job. I enjoy my work as a clinical dietitian, but it is tough to come home from a nine hour day plus another two hours of driving and have my family greet me with "what's for dinner mom?"  And while I am away working, the house doesn't get cleaned, the laundry doesn't get washed, and I find my stress level rising.

And then both Sean and Alina have been fighting colds. This means sleeplessness as husband and I are up with Alina and her coughing, stuffy, can't sleep nights.

All this combines to create "A Difficult Homeschool Day". Those of you homeschooling, or even the hard working stay at home moms, know what I mean. You wake up (late and tired), stumble from bed, the baby whining, the older two already in the middle of their first fight, and you don't know where to start. Quick, start a load of laundry? Or grab a shower? Make breakfast? Throw together a lesson? Check email? Run the vacuum? Pull the covers back over your head?

I decided to skip the lessons. We had breakfast, I had the shower and started some homemade chicken stock. Then Sita asked if we could have a picnic today? Great idea!

Backpacks with stuffed animals ready for the picnic!

We packed lunches, the girls packed their backpacks, and we headed out the door to enjoy some warmer than usual winter weather.


Sandwiches in the warm sun.

Creek play on a warm winter day.
Sean hates having his picture taken, so you will always see the back of him.

Snow sculpting.
We ended up having a pretty good day after all...
Michelle

No comments: