Thursday, February 9, 2012

Second Grade Math Lessons This Week

While the number gnomes were busy counting their gems, the math squirrels were busy counting their acorns. We met the squirrels last year with Donna Simmons' First Grade Curriculum. Now we are progressing to second grade math and the squirrels are learning how to use the trees for the four processes. This is Sita's first introduction to vertical math and she did great. The squirrels were a big help, even if they were a bit fidgety and tried to eat the blackboard chalk!

Ah, I wish I could have needle-felted the squirrels, but I bought these last year before I was "brave enough" to attempt needle felting. And they are darn cute!




My blackboard drawing for vertical math trees.
Sita's Main Lesson Drawing.


We keep practicing our two times table with movement including beanbags, snapping, and clapping. Snap, snap - two is - CLAP CLAP CLAP - one times two! Snap, snap - four is - CLAP CLAP CLAP - two times two! She is doing so well, enjoying herself and I can see her confidence growing. She proclaimed at dinner "I love math!"

I am so grateful to be a homeschool family.

What are your lessons looking like this week?








No comments: