Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dreaming of Spring and Gardens


Spring is coming! And with that comes thoughts of our garden. Last year we started with tearing out our beautiful azaleas, hostas, and rose bushes. I gave them away to make room for our raised bed garden.


Our backyard before our garden.
We then did a lot of work to create raised beds and to amend our poor clay soil. We had a very successful first garden, despite no real plan and a late start. We enjoyed green beans, peppers, strawberries (whatever the squirrels and chipmunks left us!), sweet potatoes, grape tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes. Not bad for our tiny town home yard.

I continued to add compost from my indiscreet compost bin...


Lovely compost!


My compost bin.


Look at that lovely black soil.

This year I plan to start earlier for some cool-weather spring crops. I started our lettuce seeds inside today, something I have never grown before.



I spoke to the seeds and asked that they please grow and provide our family with their delicious nutrition.

We shall see.
Springtime is here for sure, I see the signs and I feel the changes in myself as I prepare for longer days, more outside time, and more gardening. Looking forward to a full kitchen of home-grown vegetables and herbs to preserve for next winter.

What's going in your gardens?
Michelle



No comments: