Monday, February 27, 2012

Start of Second Grade Saints and Heroes

Sita and I started on her Saints and Heroes block. Well, actually we re-started the block, since I had work interruptions and then illness last week. Sometimes starting over is the best strategy. 

I am not great at memorizing and re-telling stories, but I am getting better. I have a number of resources for this saint block, but I have not been overly excited about any of them, so I decided to choose the saints that I think will be meaningful to Sita, learn their stories, and then create my own telling. I started with Saint Brigid and the cows. It's a lovely story about Brigid's kindness and generosity, adversity, and help from angels. I drew the picture last evening, and presented the story at bed-time.

For the drawing I used pastels, as I am frankly tired of the crayons. Everyone seemed quite impressed with my picture, but I have not been drawing much lately and as usual, I only see what I could improve upon. The important thing is they enjoyed it (all three of them), and hopefully it serves as an inspiration.



I told Sita now that she is officially doing "Second Grade Work", we will be doing more writing. She writes all the time with her own made-up spelling, and interestingly, her spelling is getting more accurate over time, naturally. She did a really good job of summarizing the story for me this morning. Here is the summary of the story we decided on together. 




I had an appointment with the acupuncturist this afternoon, and we were able to get our lessons done, eat lunch, put Alina down for a nap, and clean up the house before grandma arrived. That's always a plus :)

What's happening in your home these days?


No comments: