Monday, February 6, 2012

A Day in the Kitchen

Today was a cooking day, and it It was a good day to be inside a warm kitchen, as the weather changed from spring-like to a coming winter storm.
 
I started this morning with shopping at my favorite grocery, MOM's Organic Market. They have an interesting history and they are earnest in their beliefs. I feel good shopping here.

Once I had all the food ingredients needed, including kale, broccoli, leeks, dried black beans, unhomogenized milk, dried beans, some spices, apples, cheese, local pastured ground beef, and yogurt among other items, I began my food prep and actual cooking. On the menu for the week - broccoli and cheese soup with fresh tomato and herb bread; whole roasted chicken with garlic and rosemary, served with winter squash and sprouted lentils; slow-cooker black beans with corn bread; homemade cottage cheese with homemade herbed crackers and fruit; miso soup; and kale chips to snack on.

First was the broccoli soup.

4-5 cups of broccoli
2 leeks, washed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-3 small potatoes
Water just to cover the tops, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the broccoli becomes soft
Allow to cool, then blend til smooth
Add 1 cup of cream, salt and pepper to taste
Add thinly sliced or shredded cheese of your choice just before serving





Great served with fresh bread and a little red wine.


Today I also made some kale chips for the kids to snack on. The kale was absolutely beautiful, husband and I marveled at its freshness.





The blurry fingers are Sean's as he ate the chips as fast as I could make them.

To make, simply wash the kale, dry it carefully (I used a clean kitchen towel), spread it out on the baking sheet and add plenty of sea salt. Bake at 350 until the "chips" are dry. Mine took about 45 minutes.

While waiting for the soup and kale chips, I started preparing ahead the roasted chicken for the oven tomorrow. I will be working, so husband will need to start it before I get home. I also starting preparing the slow-cooker black beans by chopping the onion and garlic and grating the carrot. The night before, I will wash and soak the beans, then in the morning throw everything into the crock pot.

I love to prepare ahead of time, as the days can be hectic and busy, and I find it easier to have things ready to go. Being prepared is the only way I can have the home-cooked food consistently, without relying overly on packed and convenince foods. Although there were many other things I could have been doing (knitting, playing with kids, preparing lessons, hanging out with husband!) spending the day lovingly preparing wholesome food for those I love is a satisfying way to spend a day.

I still have a long way to go on my whole foods journey. If you are interested in learning more about whole food cooking, may I suggest you check out Beauty That Moves' Whole Food online Workshop. It looks to be a beautiful and nourishing event, with a wonderful chance to connect with others on the same path of wholesome eating. I'm looking forward to it.

What good things are you cooking?

No comments: