Tuesday, December 27, 2011

HEAD, HEART, HANDS

Carrie at the Parenting Passageway recently posted on the importance of including artistic activities in our daily lessons (read it here). I will admit this is an area I have been struggling with a lot this year. Trying to juggle the needs of the seven-year old first grader, my blossoming adolescent fifth grader, and a very busy two-year old.

I am planning a weekly schedule, since this is what worked best last year. In other words, we will have a form drawing day (Mondays), a baking day (Tuesdays), a painting day (Wednesdays), and a modeling day (Thursdays). These activities will occur in the afternoons.

We also include movement in our morning routine, as we prepare ourselves for lessons. This is followed by music practice - both the recorder and the piano, since the oldest two are taking lessons. I find it best to practice music at the beginning of our day, or it ends up getting skipped.

I recently received Eric Fairman's Path of Discovery for grade one, from Bob and Nancy's Bookstore. There are some lovely ideas for verses and movements. It is difficult to have "circle time" with so few of us, and I get a lot of eye rolls. But I will keep at them, because I do believe in the benefits.

I'm optimistic I can make this work, and looking forward to more creativity in our life. What about the rest of you, how do you include the artistic activities and what are you doing?

Off to memorize some new verses...
Michelle

No comments: